Skip to main content

UPDATE: Tiers of Joy

UPDATE: March 9, 2023 I've had more time to pray on it and really listen to God, and I've decided that I am not going to close Jenuine Enterprises as a whole. Instead, I am going to restructure it a bit. That being said, I am still closing the edible creations division of the business as well as customized or personalized crafts. Inventory specific to those divisions of my company will be liquidated. I am working through the new structure of the business as we speak, and I am very excited about how it is shaping up. When I have more details, I will share them. In the meantime, I have some backend work to do and a website refresh. Stay tuned! —Jen

Tell a Story Day | An excerpt from The Night is Young

In honor of Tell A Story Day, I am sharing an excerpt from my upcoming novel, The Night is Young. Enjoy!
----------
“This is the pre-boarding announcement for flight 1719 to Missoula. We’ll begin the boarding process in ten minutes.” Oh my God! How long does it take to make an iced coffee? My subconscious snarls at the barista. If I miss my flight, I swear to God, lady. I stand impatiently and shudder as I read another text from my boyfriend—I mean ex-boyfriend. Liv, we need to talk. I can’t tell you how sorry I am. Call me.
“Liv,” the barista shouts. I snap back into reality and force a smile, “Thank you.” I grab my coffee and head for my gate. As I turn, I am pummeled by what appears to be a tall, well-groomed man in a business suit. And my coffee is now an accessory on my white silk blouse. You've got to be kidding me.
“Excuse me!” I yell after him. He continues to run. 
“Oh, no worries,” he calls out with a wave of his hand like the whole thing was my fault. What an ass! 
I rush to the restroom and by the grace of God and a stain remover pen, I erase most of the stain. 
“We invite all remaining passengers to board at this time."
------------------------------- 
I catch my breath as I take my seat. The plane fills quickly and it looks like I'm going to get the whole row to myself. Fingers crossed. I am not big on conversation with strangers. The flight attendant greets one more passenger at the cabin door and my stomach sinks. It’s the rude guy who ran me over in the terminal. I close my eyes tight and recite this mantra in the hopes he doesn’t sit next to me: Please don’t sit here. Please don’t sit here. Please don’t sit here.
“Looks like I am 16E.” I squint through my right eye to find him standing next to me with a smug look on his face.
“Perfect,” I scoff. 
“Oh, hey. I remember you. You’re that lady from the terminal.” He looks at my blouse. “Oof, what happened there?” Like he doesn’t know?
“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome onboard flight 1719 with service from Chicago to Missoula. Please secure all baggage underneath your seat or in the overhead compartments and fasten your seatbelts.” 
I am a nervous flyer—have always been. I try to calm myself with some music and a book.
“What are you reading? Some fifty-shades-of-something-or-another cheesy romance novel?” He smiles with self-pride.
“Charming,” I sneer. I put on my headphones and escape the conversation.
------------------------------- 
I am lost in my book when an elbow jab pulls me back into reality. “What?” I shout over my music. Rude guy gestures to be quiet and points up to the speaker. 
I take off my headphones. “What do you want?"
“We’re landing soon. Just thought you’d like to know.” I think he takes pleasure in annoying me. 
“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We’ve landed at the Missoula International Airport where the local time is 4:49 and the temperature is 57º. We hope you enjoyed your flight with Montana Air and wish you a safe journey to your final destination.”
Hey mom! Just landed. Call you tomorrow. Love you! 
“Texting your mom? How cute.” Boy, he sure knows how to get under my skin.
I throw a nasty glance at him. “Excuse me? What is your problem?”  
“Sorry. I wasn’t trying to be rude. I was just...”  
I ignore him and put my things in my bag. The cabin door opens and I rush to be the first out the door. Thank God! Get me out of here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISED: Owl Eyeglass Holder Crochet Pattern

Here is a link to the original pattern: https://myfingersflyblog.com/2019/05/24/friday-freebie-owl-eyeglass-holder/ Jen’s adjustments in orange Materials: Worsted weight yarn 2 1/3  oz. ombre or variegated – I alternated the base color (ivory) with a light pink since they would compliment the color of my frames 1 oz. solid Few yards orange – I used a light yellow to compliment the light pink Size G crochet hook – I used a size I because I tend to crochet too tight Yarn needle Plastic googly eyes 40 mm – I used 25 mm eyes because I wanted them to be smaller Fiberfil Pantyhose – I did not use the pantyhose since I was using a color similar to the color of the fiberfil Crocodile stitch video – https://youtu.be/HN_SNZDW21w Directions: BODY: Rnd 1: With ombre yarn, ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Do not join. Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st (12 sc). Rnd 3: *Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, repeat around (18 sc). Rnd 4: *Sc in each of next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, * repeat around (24 sc). Rnd 5: *Sc i

UPDATE: Tiers of Joy

UPDATE: March 9, 2023 I've had more time to pray on it and really listen to God, and I've decided that I am not going to close Jenuine Enterprises as a whole. Instead, I am going to restructure it a bit. That being said, I am still closing the edible creations division of the business as well as customized or personalized crafts. Inventory specific to those divisions of my company will be liquidated. I am working through the new structure of the business as we speak, and I am very excited about how it is shaping up. When I have more details, I will share them. In the meantime, I have some backend work to do and a website refresh. Stay tuned! —Jen

Otis: An answered prayer

This past Friday, October 15, I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed over lunch when a post on one of the dog mom pages I follow caught my eye. It was a rehoming post for this little boy: Otis, a 1-year-old teddy bear (Shih Tzu/Bichon mix). Now, this was a type of post I had seen before, but there was something about this one that stopped me in my tracks. I just knew in my heart we had to help. I called Dan over to take a look. He had a similar reaction, which told me we were being called to do this. Even though we already had three fur babies, we were drawn to Otis. We had to know more. We had to meet him. The post specified that they wanted Otis to go to a home where he'd be the king of the house or the only pet. That didn't stop me from reaching out. I wrote from my heart and asked that they consider us even though we did not meet the criteria set forth. Imagine my excitement when I heard back from the owner! We both poured out our hearts and knew this was worth a shot