Skip to main content

UPDATE: Tiers of Joy

UPDATE: March 9, 2023 I've had more time to pray on it and really listen to God, and I've decided that I am not going to close Jenuine Enterprises as a whole. Instead, I am going to restructure it a bit. That being said, I am still closing the edible creations division of the business as well as customized or personalized crafts. Inventory specific to those divisions of my company will be liquidated. I am working through the new structure of the business as we speak, and I am very excited about how it is shaping up. When I have more details, I will share them. In the meantime, I have some backend work to do and a website refresh. Stay tuned! —Jen

Writer's Block 101

They say the best way to overcome writer's block is to—you guessed it—write. 

So, here I am.

I've had this blog for quite some time, but often, I'll post and then fade into the darkness for months at a time, feeling like I have nothing [worthwhile] to write about. Then, I watch Julie & Julia (for the 100th time) and think, I could do that. Perhaps if I just write more often, someone out there will read what I have to say and then I'll become popular like Julie. But what do I say? Maybe I need a theme. A catchy blog title. Hmm. Let's just put a pin in that for now.

While watching an episode of Grey's Anatomy the other day, my shoulders nearly touched my ears with anxiety as Bailey interviewed candidates. Now, it's been a while since I've interviewed, but often, one of the very first requests is, "tell me about yourself." For most people, it is no trouble sharing this information. For me, it is a terrifying moment. I've always hated the request. In interviews, networking events, you name it. If someone asks me to tell them about myself, my first instinct is to run. It's better than sounding like a neanderthal when it is clear you are having difficulty thinking of what to say, right? For most of my life, I have struggled with my identity. Who am I? It has been a hard question for me to answer. But thankfully, after many years of therapy, we've finally uncovered some of the reasons why this might be so difficult for me. I don't think I'm quite ready to share any more details than that right now, but it has been rewarding (and scary, if I'm being honest) to get to know myself for the first time in my life.

So, who am I? What have I learned about myself? Well, I've learned that I love to learn. But being a student is not my identity. I've learned that while I care about my health and have an interest in fitness and nutrition, I am not the fitness professional I once was and it is not my identity. I've learned that just because I have a background in business, it does not mean I have to own one. And even though I am a small business owner, it is not my identity. I've learned that I am quirky and that I'm more than okay with that. I am creative. I love crafts and love to create things with my hands. I am a writer. It is a talent that not everyone has and I must not minimize it. And most importantly, I've learned how much I love God. I am a Christian. I am a child of God. And even when I feel utterly broken, He is with me picking up the pieces and putting me back together. How amazing is that?

Well, I guess you could say that whoever "they" is was kind of right—the best way to overcome writer's block is to write. That doesn't mean I am not rusty, but I'm here writing, and that's what matters most to me.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far, and we'll talk soon.

Clever signoff TBD.

—Jen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVISED: Owl Eyeglass Holder Crochet Pattern

Here is a link to the original pattern: https://myfingersflyblog.com/2019/05/24/friday-freebie-owl-eyeglass-holder/ Jen’s adjustments in orange Materials: Worsted weight yarn 2 1/3  oz. ombre or variegated – I alternated the base color (ivory) with a light pink since they would compliment the color of my frames 1 oz. solid Few yards orange – I used a light yellow to compliment the light pink Size G crochet hook – I used a size I because I tend to crochet too tight Yarn needle Plastic googly eyes 40 mm – I used 25 mm eyes because I wanted them to be smaller Fiberfil Pantyhose – I did not use the pantyhose since I was using a color similar to the color of the fiberfil Crocodile stitch video – https://youtu.be/HN_SNZDW21w Directions: BODY: Rnd 1: With ombre yarn, ch 2, 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook. Do not join. Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st (12 sc). Rnd 3: *Sc in next st, 2 sc in next st, repeat around (18 sc). Rnd 4: *Sc in each of next 2 sts, 2 sc in next st, * repeat around (24 sc). Rnd 5: *Sc i

UPDATE: Tiers of Joy

UPDATE: March 9, 2023 I've had more time to pray on it and really listen to God, and I've decided that I am not going to close Jenuine Enterprises as a whole. Instead, I am going to restructure it a bit. That being said, I am still closing the edible creations division of the business as well as customized or personalized crafts. Inventory specific to those divisions of my company will be liquidated. I am working through the new structure of the business as we speak, and I am very excited about how it is shaping up. When I have more details, I will share them. In the meantime, I have some backend work to do and a website refresh. Stay tuned! —Jen

Otis: An answered prayer

This past Friday, October 15, I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed over lunch when a post on one of the dog mom pages I follow caught my eye. It was a rehoming post for this little boy: Otis, a 1-year-old teddy bear (Shih Tzu/Bichon mix). Now, this was a type of post I had seen before, but there was something about this one that stopped me in my tracks. I just knew in my heart we had to help. I called Dan over to take a look. He had a similar reaction, which told me we were being called to do this. Even though we already had three fur babies, we were drawn to Otis. We had to know more. We had to meet him. The post specified that they wanted Otis to go to a home where he'd be the king of the house or the only pet. That didn't stop me from reaching out. I wrote from my heart and asked that they consider us even though we did not meet the criteria set forth. Imagine my excitement when I heard back from the owner! We both poured out our hearts and knew this was worth a shot